Visible Health Problems with NosesThe appearance of a nose can give doctors a clue as to the health of the person. Here are some of the signs they may look for:
- A red nose may be due to a simple problem such as a cold, allergies or sunburn. In some cases, however, it can be a sign of alcohol abuse or a skin condition called rosacea
- People with allergies often push their nose up to try and gain relief from itchiness. This may form a crease across the bridge of the nose
- A bulbous nose is a caused by a condition known as rhinophyma. The nose skin becomes thickened and may become waxy and oily
Internal Health Problems and NosesThere are a number of health issues that relate to the nose and its inner workings:
- Snoring – especially snoring that has recently started can be a sign of a cold or allergy or something more serious such as enlarged tonsils or adenoids. Rarely it can be caused by a growth that is blocking the airflow through the nose.
- A runny nose is usually due to a cold but can also be caused by snorting cocaine or a tumor.
- A dry nose may be caused by the use of some medications that are used to treat asthma and a blocked nose.
- A bad smell coming from the nose can be a sign of ozena – a condition where the nasal structure becomes atrophied.
- A decreased ability to smell may be due to aging. People in their 80s only smell half as well as a person in their 60s.
- A blocked nose from a cold can also affect the sense of smell
- A zinc deficiency may cause a loss of smell as can various other health problems such as diabetes, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.