Recover Fast From Back Surgery by Getting Back in ActionAs part of a speedier recovery process, it is important for a back surgery patient to slowly get back into a daily routine. Immersing oneself in activities, even those as simple as getting out of bed without help, is a major step towards full recovery. Here are some more tips to easily get back in action.
- Get in and out of bed safely without putting pressure on the back. This can be easily done through a log roll – a position where in an individual rolls on his side, swings legs to the floor and lifts the body using the arms.
- Utilize special tools such as railings, a reacher and elevated seat to assist with day to day actions.
- When in doubt on whether or not to perform a specific activity, such as driving or going to work, check with a doctor.
- Refrain from being in one position for long periods of time to avoid cramps and spasms.
Take Prescribed Medication for Fast Back Surgery RecoveryA doctor will prescribe medication for an effective pain management. Do not hesitate to ask questions pertaining to what the medicine is for and length of time it has to be taken. Never wait for pain to be intolerable before taking medication and make sure to take it on time. Also, if an individual has been on medication for a while, it is best to consult with a doctor before stopping medication.
Gain Strength Back After Back Surgery Through ExercisingExercise programs are usually given after surgery to help a back surgery patient to heal faster. Exercising is also another way to reduce pain. Here are some strengthening exercises to try.
- Walking – Walking is a great way to maintain the strength and flexibility of the muscles. Start with short walks on flat surfaces for a few minutes. For each day, add a minute or so.
- Water Aerobics – This type of exercise is great in exercising muscles, while maintaining a minimum stress on the back. The doctor may recommend this exercise as soon as it is determined that the incision is safe to get wet.
- Other exercises recommended by a physical therapist
Speed Up Back Surgery Recovery by Protecting the BackObserving good body mechanics when performing day to day activity can speed up the recovery process. It can also prevent back injury in the future.
- When lifting, follow the recommended weight limit set by the doctor. Also, remember to always lift using the legs and hold the object to be lifted close to the body.
- Sit with a straight back; no slouching or slumping.
- Use knees when bending and never bend from the waist.
- Avoid any form of twisting or bending